[mythtv-users] Good video card with HDMI out?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Feb 4 16:21:16 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 04 February 2009 09:04:58 Calvin Harrigan wrote:
> Josh Mastronarde wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 12:00 PM, Allen Edwards
> >
> > <allen.p.edwards at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Or get the entire cable for about the same price from these guys.
> >> http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10231&cs_id
> >>=1023104&p_id=2661&seq=1&format=2
> >>
> >> By the way, their service is excellent and their shipping costs are very
> >> reasonable.  Compared to the adapter from newegg, the cable delivered is
> >> $1 less!  Every buy something for $30 and say "this should only cost
> >> $5"?  From these guys it will be $4.
> >> Allen
> >
> > What??!!!!  You're saying I don't need to spend $219 for an 8' HDMI
> > cable?????
> >
> > http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7858446&type=product&id=115
> >8103757481
> >
> > It even has "nitrogen gas-injected dielectric", so it must be good.  I
> > swear I can see and hear the difference; the digital bits get there
> > faster and cleaner!
> >
> > :-) :-) :-)
> >
> > Josh
>
> If you are going to get that, make sure to get the gold plated optical
> cables, remember gold contacts are very important for the transferring
> of photons.
> http://www.amazon.co.uk/Plated-Digital-Optical-Cable-Mountain/dp/B001ANDV2A
>
> Isn't the atmosphere almost 80% nitrogen anyway? Unless it's vacuum
> sealed it's pointless, even more so than being injected in the first place.
> Sheesh, we've become all too gullible/stupid...

Nitrogen is used in some applications, for example optical devices, where
filling the device with dry nitrogen helps to prevent fogging. In this case
it is the "dry" part that helps, not the "nitrogen" part, it is just easier
to get almost perfectly dry nitrogen than dry air.

Then there is the "gold" thing. A lof of people know that there is some
connection between gold and electronics. The truth is that gold is not a
particularly good conductor (silver is best, followed by copper and
aluminum). The advantage to gold is that it does not oxidize much, thus the
connections don't get flaky due to oxidized contacts.

I really love the "gold" connectors that contain not a single molecule of AU,
they are simply "gold colored".

As was said, people will buy into almost anything if it is well marketed.
--
beww
beww at beww.org