[mythtv-users] MBE loses tuners in SBE until I enter & exit from Mythtv-Setup

Glen Hawksworth glenhawk at optusnet.com.au
Wed Feb 4 08:04:35 UTC 2009

Hi all,
this is my first go at using a secondary backend and as such I am having
some difficulties. Apart from the fact that my MBE won't automatically
wakeonlan my SBE, when I power up the MBE it tells me that there are
conflicting recordings because it only has half the number of tuners.
When I finally manually switch on the SBE it can connect and watch TV
but MBE still says conflicts. If I open MythTV backend settings and then
close them again then finally the MBE realises that it has more tuners
available and says no conflicts.

I read somewhere that having dynamic IP addresses (DHCP) can sometimes
cause this so (even though I have my router assigning static addresses
via DHCP) I set the MBE and SBE to have static IPs (but I didn't change
anything in the router). That did not fix my problem however I am using
the new network manager in Mythbuntu 8.10 so I don't know if I did it
right. Should I be removing the network manager and "hard-wiring" the IP
address so that it doesn't wait to connect and bring up a balloon over
the MythTV GUI that says "you are now connected to the wired network"?

Here are the facts:

      * MBE = Core2 Duo 2.67GHz running AMD64 Mythbuntu 8.10; only
        modifications from standard install are fstabbing a second HDD
        and it is configured to use MythWelcome and ACPI
      * SBE = P4 3GHz HT running fresh install of i386 Mythbuntu 8.10
        with all the latest updates and no mods to standard install
        (apart from trying to assign static IP)
      * I just sent another email about having problems accessing
        migrated recordings on the second drive in my MBE, I don't know
        if this is related.

I assume that it should be simple to connect a SBE to a MBE because lots
of people are doing it and I cannot find much info explaining howto get
it working. I must just be missing something.
I have many more questions about the operation of a SBE but they can
wait until I get this running and am able to actually have a go first!!
thanks,
Glen