[mythtv-users] Possible XvBA support soon?

ryan patterson ryan.goat at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 17:30:11 UTC 2009

On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 8:57 AM, Andrew Barbaccia <andrew at monolithmc.com> wrote:
> All this talk about VDPAU makes me want to buy an nVidia card. I was gonna
> do it this week but then this article posted:
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=xorg_vdpau_vaapi&num=1
>
> about VA-API using VDPAU in the backend. Also theres a mention of work going
> on to support an XvBA backend as well.
> Maybe someone with some more developing experience can help answer this:
> Do you think MythTV will switch to interfacing with the VA-API layer rather
> than supporting each driver's API individually (VDPAU, XvBA, etc)?
> I know VA-API hasn't had much steam but if XvBA remains undocumented it
> seems that VA-API would be the only way to take advantage of it...
> Just some thoughts for a tuesday morning.
> -Andrew

If VA-API becomes the standard interface for video acceleration in
Linux I'm sure the MythTV developers will take the time to add
support.  But I wouldn't hold your breath while waiting for AMD and
Intel to release useful stable drivers and fully support their API's.
Nvidia's support for VDPAU has been amazing (not perfect, but much
better then what linux is use to receiving).  It was the
manufacturer's support and openness that is what enabled VDPAU to be a
success so quickly.

-Ryan