[mythtv-users] 0.22 annoyances

David Engel david at istwok.net
Wed Dec 30 15:58:01 UTC 2009

Please don't top post on Myth lists.  If you don't have a specific
quoted section you are replying to, then please trim the entire quoted
section.

On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 03:07:51AM +0000, Ben Woodhouse wrote:
> I consider this to be a usability issue because it requires an extra
> (unnecessary in most cases) button mapping which is less accessible
> than the right arrow. The right arrow is amongst the 5 most
> accessible buttons on most remotes, and it was a good choice for
> that menu, since it contains a lot of commonly used
> functionality. On my remote, I simply don't have any spare buttons
> anywhere close to that core region, so it's a pain to have to use
> something else. Yeah, I would probably get used to it, to some
> extent, but it would never be as convenient.

I've suggested this before, but I'll bring it up again.

Always have the SELECT button bring up a simple menu for the most
commonly used actions for the currently highlighted item.  Those same
actions, as well as others, can still be bound to other keys for
quicker access.  The MENU button should bring up a full menu or series
of menus to allow access to all possible actions.

PBB oculd then, for example, have a simple menu when SELECT is pressed
which offered "Play", "Play from...", "Delete" and maybe one or two
other options.  "Play" could even be the default action, so users who
don't want to move their finger from the d-pad to the PLAY button
could easily start playback by simply pressing SELECT twice.

David
--
David Engel
david at istwok.net