[mythtv-users] minimizing network traffic

Mike Schiller mdschiller.mythtv at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 10:43:12 UTC 2009

I have one machine in my setup that has a large amount of storage that
it exports to the network via NFS. That box will be used as a
frontend, and I could install the backend on it as well, but I can't
have the tuner attached to that box. I have a second box which runs
only the backend service and has my tuner connected to it. In
addition, I have a couple other frontends on my network (each of which
will also be a slave backend to help out with commercial flagging).

My question is, how do I configure MythTV to minimize network traffic
in this scenario? I'd thought of making the box with the storage be
the master backend, but the docs say that a master backend must have a
tuner, and that's not an option. I don't want my tuner box to have to
read the recordings from the storage box, only to turn around and send
the data back onto the network. Is there a way to ensure that all
boxes know that they can read directly from my storage box? Would such
a solution restrict me to NFS rather than myth's streaming protocol
(I'm probably OK with that restriction)? I assume the solution would
involve tweaking settings related to streaming and the master backend
override, but I'm not sure what settings to use.

Thanks,
Mike