[mythtv-users] time zone with distant frontend

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Tue Dec 29 23:14:27 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-12-29 at 17:52 -0500, Michael T. Dean wrote:

> I consider the systems properly configured,

But will myth FE complain when it's local timezone is different than
that of the BE?

> but whether the MythTV is
> properly configured depends on the license agreement you have with your
> cable or satellite provider (or, potentially the broadcast agreement for
> OTA channels).

No.  Not at all, in the least.  IMHO.  Please, let's not confuse and
muddy a purely technical discussion with the rights argument that user
and provider are always going to have.  There is no reason why the
rights issue should have any bearing on the technical issue and it's
just the technical issue that I am asking about.

> When I get the first report of a user actually doing this--and doing so
> without violating a service agreement from his/her cable/satellite
> company--

Oh.  So now the MythTV project has been drafted into the IP Gestapo.  It
annoys me to no end when product providers try to tell me how I can and
can't use their product.  There has been zero innovation in the DVD
player market because of exactly this.  I sure hope MythTV does not get
into this game.  Just provide the product and let me decide how I am
going to use it, please.

b.