[mythtv-users] time zone with distant frontend

Johnny Walker johnnyjboss at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 22:19:13 UTC 2009

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 4:12 PM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 12/29/2009 05:07 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>>
>> When MythTV was originally designed, the decision was made to use local
>> time for storage of program listings information because it worked extremely
>> well with all XMLTV grabbers available at the time /and/ it allowed the devs
>> who created MythTV the ability to easily find information in the database
>> when debugging without having to do UTC conversions in their heads.
>
> Oh, and, really, does /anyone/ have 2 hosts running MythTV applications that
> /are/ actually in different time zones?  (Perhaps I should really say, "Does
> /anyone/ who isn't stealing (cable, satellite, ...) service...")

Hey I ran into this issue anyway. I'm not sure how the wrong timezone
got set on one of my frontends but it happens.

I live in Dallas Tx and the Timezone Selector for Ubuntu (still)
doesn't contain our fair city. Somehow Chicago or America Central
wasn't selected. When your spouse is already losing interest in the
MythTv project and it keeps 'appearing to crash' - or exit without any
visual prompt as to why - it's a little annoying.

I am however going to look into adding that 'feature' since I'm not
totally incapable of writing code.

-JJ