[mythtv-users] time zone with distant frontend

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Dec 29 22:12:19 UTC 2009

On 12/29/2009 05:07 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> When MythTV was originally designed, the decision was made to use
> local time for storage of program listings information because it
> worked extremely well with all XMLTV grabbers available at the time
> /and/ it allowed the devs who created MythTV the ability to easily
> find information in the database when debugging without having to do
> UTC conversions in their heads.

Oh, and, really, does /anyone/ have 2 hosts running MythTV applications
that /are/ actually in different time zones?  (Perhaps I should really
say, "Does /anyone/ who isn't stealing (cable, satellite, ...) service...")

And, if you happen to have a system that's running with the wrong time
zone configured because it's running non-MythTV services that support
users in another time zone and you happen to want to run MythTV
applications on that system, you can do so--you just have to know how
time zones work in *nix (and, I'll give you a hint--they're not
host-specific, but environment-specific).

Mike