[mythtv-users] New Myth setup - questions about storage.

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Mon Dec 28 17:15:45 UTC 2009

> Should I use the ide drive as my main drive?

This is up to you. I personally would not bother using any drive that
is 3 years old or more as an OS drive.

> Are there any issues with using ide and sata in the same system?

No. At least I have not seen this on dozens of linux machines at wor.

> I have recently seen threads regarding performance issues with ext4.  What
> filesystems should I use for the RAID5 and OS drives?

ext4 for both. ext3 is annoyingly slow for large file operations. xfs
is slow for small files.

> I have the option of using a SATA optical drive in this system.

Does not really make a big difference if the optical drive is SATA or ide.

>  Would it be
> more beneficial to use both ide drives: one for OS, one for MYSQL?
>

> Other relevant system specs: Athlon X2 4800+, NVidia 9500GT, 2 GB ram, HD
> PVR, Hauppage HVR-1600.  I will be running .22-fixes and Fedora 12.

Make sure you setup your system for vdpau.