[mythtv-users] New HDPVR Firmware Released

Jim Stichnoth stichnot at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 03:49:51 UTC 2009

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 5:58 PM, Paul Sands <usg990a at cebridge.net> wrote:
> David Engel wrote:
>
> On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 09:42:37PM -0500, Jarod Wilson wrote:
>

> Interesting... I wonder if the IR fixes are in the driver, or at the
> firmware level. And if its at the firmware level, perhaps this is a
> key fix to smooth out the lirc_zilog issues people have
> reported... Any brave souls wanna upgrade their firmware, load up
> lirc_zilog and see if the lockups still happen? :)
>

> FWIW, I installed the new driver package yesterday.  As someone else
> reported, the firmware wasn't changed.  In fact, according to the
> information I found on SHS, the Windows driver didn't change either.
> The only difference between 1.5.6.0 and 1.5.6.1 is the latter is
> officially signed by Microsoft.
>
> David
>

> Has anyone actually tried flashing the new firmware? Looking at the comments
> referenced on SHS, they are dated in Oct (before the release). Could they
> have been looking at a beta version of this release and that's why they did
> not see any differences? I'm not at home to try the new firmware but I will
> when I get a chance.

Be warned -- with this firmware, I started suffering from audio/video
drift after a DISH vip211 automatic firmware update.  With the vip211
set to 720p and AC3 audio, the HD-PVR was recording audio properly at
59.94fps but video incorrectly at 60fps.  The audio lag started
becoming noticeable about 5 minutes in, and intolerable after ~15
minutes.  Reverting the firmware and changing to PCM audio fixed the
problem.

Jim