[mythtv-users] Myth with Dish Network / DirectTV ?

Mark fairlane at springcom.com
Wed Dec 16 23:33:27 UTC 2009

Mark Knecht wrote:

>    I'm wondering how well satellite TV works these days? They say they
> have the local channels. They supply everything I need. I don't care
> much about HD so my recording is pretty easy technology wise.
>
>    What's the verdict these days?
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

Hey Mark.  :)

I suspect there's hundreds of Mythtv Dish users out there, it's not
really that different than a cable setup, you just have
to use an IR blaster to change channels.  EONS ago (like 6-7 years) I
helped write a howto on multi-settop box/single lirc instance
with Dish.  Can't remember who wrote it all down, but I suspect it's
still floating around on the net somewhere.  A google search for dish lirc
should find it.  Hint:  I worked for Eaton at the time.  There's some
info on the mailing list archive.  Other than that, it just works.  Your
choice of IR blaster will have more
effect on the quality of your experience than anything.  I was using
homebrew usb powered ones taped to the front of every reciever.  When
the tape fails, you stop changing.
I've got a dream of cracking open my boxes (I own not lease) and wiring
in an opto-isolator for perfect changes, but who knows if
I'll ever inherit a round tuit or two.

Cheers,
Mark