[mythtv-users] Adding HDHR to a master backend with an HDPVR already

Johnny Walker johnnyjboss at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 18:24:17 UTC 2009

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 9:28 AM, Johnny Walker <johnnyjboss at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 9:05 AM, Mike Perkins
> <mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk> wrote:
>> Johnny Walker wrote:
>>>
>>> So what I tried was removing both sources and re-adding the HDHR first
>>> so there wouldn't be any channels 'in the way'. I still got quite a
>>> few notices that channels were in conflict. I don't understand this
>>> since there was a blank slate to be adding these newly scanned
>>> channels to.
>>>
>> You may be picking up the same channels broadcast by more than one
>> transmitter.
>
> I'm using US-CABLE (specifically TimeWarner in Dallas Texas). So these
> are all on the same wire. Thus my confusion - how can they be a
> conflict if they are all on the same wire to begin with?
>
>  In that case, the same channel (ID) will be broadcast on a
>> different channel (frequency) in order to avoid interference problems.
>>
>> When myth scans the second (or subsequent) channel with the same ID it
>> doesn't know what to do with it. Is this the one you're supposed to have, or
>> was it the previous one(s)?
>>
>> You *did* do a 'delete all sources' operation, didn't you, rather than
>> delete each source individually? 'Delete all sources' guarantees to clean
>> out all of the database info from previous attempts.
>
> Good to know - not sure how I did it but I suppose I know how I'll be
> re-doing it.

I'm using the HDHR on a digital cable system, and I'm just wanting the
local channels (i'll take whatever else I can find though) for when
the big networks run shows against each other in Prime Time.

I'm confused about how to use the channel scanner to add channels when
it says they in conflict.

It seems that my whole backend and frontend have become unstable now -
I need to re-read Michael's comments on how channels are tracked in
the database and what I need to know to keep it all straight for the
backend.

When adding channels, when I was asked to pick a channel number or
even have one suggested, it was always in conflict. I even tried
'crazy' channel numbers so that they couldn't be in conflict and yet
they were. I'm left to discern that the conflict isn't related to the
channel number, yet that seems to be the only identifier I'm asked to
make input on by the channel scanner.