[mythtv-users] How to play audio CDs?

Jim Stichnoth stichnot at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 17:54:52 UTC 2009

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 9:33 AM, David Watkins <watkinshome at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm not in front of my Myth box right now, but it seems to me that you
>> go into mythmusic then hit menu.  If I recall correctly, the option to
>> play from the CD should be there.  If I don't recall correctly then
>> sorry for the bum advice (but I do know it can be done).
>
> It used to be that way for me.
>
> When I pressed "3" inside mythmusic then some checkboxes appeared.
>
> All My Music
> Playlists
> CD
>
> and I could select tracks from any of those categories, without
> needing to rip the CD first.
>
> At some point  that "CD" option disappeared. (I upgraded Fedora when I
> went from myth 0.20 to 0.21 and I suspect it was then).
>
> I'd be interested to know how to get it back.  I compile mythtv and
> plugins from source.  Maybe I'm missing a package dependency which is
> causing mythmusic to remove the CDoption?

I see that in my system (running 0.22 -- trunk but I'm sure it's the
same in -fixes).

Here are my problems so far getting myth to play audio CDs with
positive WAF.  The system is a single-core ION, ALSA set up for stereo
analog output, and an external USB DVD drive.

MythMusic.  Starts playing, goes about 10 seconds (with no activity on
the drive LED), then pauses about 10 seconds (with the drive LED
active), repeats a couple of times, finally stops playing altogether.
Logs complain about audio buffer underruns, not surprisingly.

mplayer cdda:// .  Similar alternating between playback and waiting.

xine cdda:// . Doesn't play at all.

grip (as suggested by Yan Seiner).  Looks OK, displaying the track
names, but I just get silence while it is supposedly playing (with the
playback time indicator progressing normally without pauses).  Also, I
have doubts about whether it supports lirc.

Maybe I'll try vlc next, unless there are other suggestions.

Jim