[mythtv-users] Installing mythbuntu with myth 22 using latest nvidia drivers

Frank Merrill fmerrill1 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 13 17:39:06 UTC 2009

On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 9:52 AM, Johnny <jarpublic at gmail.com> wrote:

> You should also point out that you will need to use mythtv from the
> avenard repository. He compiles the nvidia drivers and mythtv a little
> differently. He follows the recommendation of nvidia, which allows you
> to change drivers without reinstalling mythtv. In the standard
> mythbuntu repository mythtv is compiled against the specific driver so
> when you change driver versions you have to reinstall mythtv. I use
> avenard repository and really appreciate being able to try out new
> drivers without having to reinstall mythtv.

I think this could be a little misleading.
I use Mythbuntu 9.10 and do not use Jean-Yves repos, and I am able to
change to the newer Nvidia binary drivers without having to 'reinstall
mythtv'.

I am currently using the 190 drivers:

htpc1 at htpc1:~$ dmesg | grep NVID
[    9.224662] nvidia: module license 'NVIDIA' taints kernel.
[    9.483319] NVRM: loading NVIDIA UNIX x86 Kernel Module  190.42
Tue Oct 20 20:18:32 PDT 2009

And am also using just the VDPAU Slim playback profile with no de-interlacers.
Amazingly with no de-interlacing at all, I get much more consistent
playback quality across all content I may display.
Most of my content is coming in without interlacing anyway (720p), so
that I don't have to de-interlace it using the GPU anyway,

Frank