[mythtv-users] 'powerline' ethernet experience?

Fedor Pikus fpikus at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 04:48:40 UTC 2009

On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 5:02 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:
> Anyone got any gems for me? I have difficulty running cat5/6 and
> wireless is giving me grief. Powerline ethernet (the 200Mbps version)
> is looking attractive.

To follow up on this: I just got three NetGear WNHDE111 AP/Bridge
wireless-N 5GHz boxes. They are conceptually similar to powerline
devices in that they are meant to talk to each other (the AP will work
as a general-purpose AP as well, but bridge works only with other
WNHDE111 and few more NetGear APs). They are sold single or in kits of
two (right now single is cheaper at Newegg), the kit is called
WNHDEB111.

I get transfer rates of 10MB/s, which is the same as 100MB/s ethernet
(so it would not surprise me if the wired network was actually the
limiting factor). Setup is really easy, set switch on one as AP and
one as bridge, plug them in, press the button on the front (if you
bought a kit, somebody at the factory even presses the button for you,
so you only plug them in :)

--
Fedor G Pikus (fpikus at gmail.com)
http://www.pikus.net