[mythtv-users] Terms and Conditions and Screen scraping

OJ olejl77 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 03:59:14 UTC 2009

Hi,
I made a script that get the program listing from my provider:

http://www.orbitshowtime.com/

When reading their Terms and Conditions:
http://www.orbitshowtime.com/Terms_en_gb.aspx

I can read the following:
[quote]
SITE ACCESS

Panther media Group grants you a limited license to access and make
personal use of this site and not to download (other than page
caching) or modify it, or any portion of it, except with express
written consent of Panther media Group. This license does not include
any resale or commercial use of this site or its contents; any
collection and use of any service listings, descriptions, or prices;
any derivative use of this site or its contents; any downloading or
copying of account information for the benefit of another business
entity; or any use of data mining, robots, or similar data gathering
and extraction tools. This site or any portion of this site may not be
reproduced, duplicated, copied, sold, resold, visited, or otherwise
exploited for any commercial purpose without express written consent
of Panther media Group. You may not frame or utilize framing
techniques to enclose any trademark, logo, or other proprietary
information (including images, text, page layout, or form) of Panther
media Group without express written consent. You may not use any meta
tags or any other "hidden text" utilizing Panther media Group name or
trademarks without the express written consent of Panther media Group.
Any unauthorized use terminates the permission or license granted by
Panther media Group. You are granted a limited, revocable, and
nonexclusive right to create a hyperlink to the home page of
OrbitShowtime.com so long as the link does not portray Panther media
Group or their products or services in a false, misleading,
derogatory, or otherwise offensive matter. You may not use any Panther
media Group logo or other proprietary graphic or trademark as part of
the link without express written permission.
[/quote]

Does anyone know how e.g. XMLTV (and others) handles this? Clearly I'm
breaking their license.

What would happen if I distributed the source? Could I get around it somehow?