[mythtv-users] Which agp video card is better?

Johnny jarpublic at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 21:49:09 UTC 2009

>> There are 4 pci slots available.
>>
>> Had to google conventional pci to figure out that they are all 5V 32bit slots.
>> Anything besides the Sparkle SFPC84GS512U2LP GeForce 8400 GS PCI
>> that I should consider.
>>
>> Need to see if I can find specs, or a picture of the Sparkle card to see
>> what kind of PCI slot it requires.
>>

> Can't tell from the picture whether the Sparkle card is
> 3.3V or 5V-32 bit PCI, or
> 3.3V 64-bit PCI only
>
> Think I may have some other boxes with longer PCI cards.

You don't come across 64-bit PCI very often outside of server class
motherboards and hardware, and usually that is PCI-X stuff. These
cards are all regular 32-bit PCI. For the 3.3V vs 5V you can tell by
where the little notch is. Almost all modern cards are universal. So
that have a notch in both places so that they will fit in 3.3V and 5V
slots. So the fanless Sparkle cards should be fine. I have an 8400GS
and use it with VDPAU on SD and it is great. If you want to go with HD
material, then you will need to use Temporal 2x rather than Advanced
2x deinterlacing.