[mythtv-users] LiveTV fails on the hour with "Error: Video frame buffering failed too many times."

John Luber john at luberfamily.net
Thu Dec 10 13:41:59 UTC 2009

Hi Lasse & Mike,

Just saw your responses this morning; thank you for the suggestions...

I hadn't posted back yet, but I've made some progress on this issue.
Here's what I did...

I downloaded the latest source from SVN (svn co
http://svn.mythtv.org/svn/branches/release-0-22-fixes/ mythtv-0-22
) and applied the patch from ticket #6583 to tv_play.cpp and compiled.
During testing I no longer receive the "Error: Video frame buffering
failed too many times.".  With the patch applied I just see a short (<
2seconds) skip in the playback during the switch from one live show to
another and live TV continues.  I've moved this fix to 3 of my frontends
and none show the error any longer (just the brief skip).

So, not a perfect fix (I am a perfectionist ;-)) but very acceptable
nonetheless.  I hope this patch makes it into the codebase eventually -
sooner the better!

Thanks again,

John