[mythtv-users] The Boxee Box

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Dec 9 15:23:00 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 08 December 2009 07:38:22 am Matt Emmott wrote:
> The Boxee Box has been announced. It's a small D-link device similar to a
> Popcorn Hour or Roku box that runs Boxee and outputs to your TV over
>  I watched part of the webcast last night and they claim it's fully open
>  source inside and out, and will retail for around $200. No mention of the
>  xPUs yet but if it really can do full Hulu, Netflix etc then one would
>  think it would be beefy enough to run a Myth FE. A box that can do full HD
>  and flash streaming for $200 sounds to me like a game changer. Or am I
>  assuming too much?

Maybe. It seems it does not do Netflix - "yet":

As has been mentioned, there is unlikely to ever be a truly open source way
to implement Netflix.

The term "Open Source" is being bandying about a lot lately, often without
much accuracy.

"Yet" sort of implies that it will, eventually, but I wouldn't bet on it. IOW
I wouldn't count on something as simple as a firmware update making it
happen, you may have to buy a new box.