[mythtv-users] The Boxee Box

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Tue Dec 8 17:48:55 UTC 2009

On Dec 8, 2009, at 9:26 AM, Dean Collins wrote:

> Unfortunately the Boxee people have played fast and loose with
> terminology from time to time so will be interesting to see if
> everything is truly 'open source'.
>
> Balls in their court for now.

Well, we know some of it won't be.  For example, the NetFlix DRM stuff
would pretty much have to be a binary blob.

How useful it is for Myth depends on two things: Whether whatever
hardware video decoding they use has an open-source (or at least
freely available) driver, and whether the box itself can be
reprogrammed by end users.  "Open source" does not necessarily mean
"open platform," after all.