[mythtv-users] FCC admits CableCARD a failure, vows to try something else

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Dec 5 21:58:10 UTC 2009

On Saturday 05 December 2009 02:50:12 pm John Drescher wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 3:52 PM, Devin Heitmueller
>
> <dheitmueller at kernellabs.com> wrote:
> >> "Agency engineers showed the following chart, pointing out that only
> >> 14 non-leased set-top boxes were on the market in the US."
> >>
> >> Does anybody have any idea what mythical (no pun intended) retail
STB
> >> boxes they are talking about here?  I'm only aware of the TivoHD.
> >
> > They probably meant "14 non-leased Cablecard capable products".  This
> > probably boils down to the two Tivo products, the Moxi product, and a
> > dozen really expensive-high-end-televisions ($3000+).
>
> I use a CableCard in my Sony HD CRT tv. It was like $1250 when we
> bought it 4 years ago. Comcast had no clue at all how to install the
> cable card and it ended up needing 2 trips from technicians and the
> first cable card we obtained did not work.

I'd guess Comcast knew perfectly well how to install the card, or at least
some of their engineering staff did.

They were hoping to make it enough trouble that you would give up and
order an STB. It's well documented that the cable companies fought the
CableCard concept tooth and nail, and continue to do so.

https://secure.eff.org/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=261

http://text.broadbandreports.com/shownews/Cable-Industry-Shucks-Guess-
Nobody-Wants-CableCARDs-104768

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/home-theater-audio-video-
news/1363-cablecard-fight-continues-courts-uphold-integration-ban-ncta-
seeks-delay-waiver.html

http://hd.engadget.com/2006/07/04/cablecard-vs-cable-box/

(sorry for the wrapped URLs)