[mythtv-users] 'powerline' ethernet experience?

Kevin Ross kevin at familyross.net
Fri Dec 4 22:09:14 UTC 2009

> The server cabinet is the cupboard under the stairs, and my 3D space
> visualisation is not great, I think if I drill a hole HERE it might
> come out in the right place, but more likely it will make an ugly hole
> with majorly negative WAF. Watch this space...

I bit the bullet and ran cat5 cable through my house.  Upstairs was easy, I
could just run the wires through the attic, drill a hole in the top plate
from the attic, drop the wire down inside the wall (interior walls don't
have insulation in them), and make a small hole in the drywall that later
gets covered up with the outlet cover.

For going from upstairs to downstairs, I found there was no possible way to
run the cable without making big holes in the walls.  So I cut the holes in
the drywall, drilled the necessary holes through the top plate, and got all
the wires run.  You get good at patching the holes pretty fast.  I hate
painting, though, so I let someone else repaint the walls.