[mythtv-users] cards vs sources vs inputs confusion, problems and possible bugs

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Dec 3 23:17:47 UTC 2009

Petr Stehlik wrote:
> R. G. Newbury píše v Čt 03. 12. 2009 v 13:24 -0500:
>
>> For example, if you get   2,4,6,8,10 from OTA and 6,8,10 from digital
>> cable as 206,208 and 210, giving the latter a channum of 6A,8A and 10A
>> would list them in the EPG below/above their equals. Internally, their
>> chanids differ and myth would know how to tune them accordingly. And an
>> in-use channel/tuner combo would show in the EPG.
>> Not QUITE what you want, but close.
>
> What's wrong with identical channums? Why making them slightly different
> (6, 6A, 6B, 6C...) and then forcing the user to try each one until they
> find one that works (or until they run into a deadlock I have just
> experienced). Shouldn't the computer know better (using the chanids)
> which tuner is free and could be used?

Of COURSE! the computer should know better. So should your elected
representative, but it does not always work that way. I agree that it
would be nice, but myth was not originally structured in an era where
you *could* get the same channel through 2 or 3 different routes (and
when the tuning methodology necessary to tune one of those instances
bears not relationship to the method of any other).

In one sense you *are* correct. The computer does know which tuner is in
use, but that data is not presented in a (presently) usable way. As a
result the code could just as easily view your request to view a program
*which is already being recorded* as redundant.

There are three use cases. In the first, you are not recording. Use
recording priority to select the 'best' tuner. Whenever you select the
channel, you get that tuner.

In the next case, you are recording, but you are recording THAT channel.
Then you just want to play the recording, either live or from the beginning.

In the last case, your 'best' tuner is already in use on another
channel. Seems to me that myth should already know how to handle this,
by picking an unused tuner capable of receiving the channel.
As I am not sure about this, I suggested the re-numbering.

As I said, please test. I don't KNOW if identical channums will work. It
depends on how myth treats 'identical' callsigns (I think! And don't
quote me on that! I don't like people to think that I think when I am
not paid to do so...lawyers are like that don'cha know!)

Geoff