[mythtv-users] HD-PVR: Encoding Errors Running 0.22

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 19:00:43 UTC 2009

On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 10:45 AM, David Engel <david at istwok.net> wrote:
<snip>

> Of course, I still see periodic hangs and restarts when using the
> spdif input.  I researched that yesterday and that's a known problem
> even with the Windows drivers.  The cause is probably incorrect audio
> encoding upstream or flaky audio output on the STB.  Either way, it
> looks like I will have to use the analog audio input if I want
> glitch-free video.

So, the HD-PVR firmware is not fault-tolerant enough with "poor" Dolby
Digital (AC3)?  Is Hauppauge working on this?  Maybe if everyone
having this problem contacted Hauppauge to complain, they might bump
it up the priority list as something which needs fixed soon.

I don't know what it takes to mux the AC3 into the video stream.  The
HD-PVR may actually have to interpret the AC3 enough to "sync" the
audio with the video.  Perhaps the HD-PVR gets confused with damaged
AC3 timecodes?

John
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.