[mythtv-users] surround sound to stereo output?

Josh White jaw1959 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 02:47:57 UTC 2009

I'm trying to set my VIA VT1708B based 8-channel sound card so it outputs
stereo.
I'm running Mythbuntu 8.10 on in a room where I only use the stereo speakers
on my TV for sound.  Unfortunately, when I setup my machine, I was only able
to make it work by plugging a stereo 1/8" - dual RCA cable into what seems
to be either the center or front channels (I'm not sure which; though the
music seems to overpower dialog, so I suppose that would suggest the front
channels).   As you may imagine, the sound quality is rarely what I'd like
it to be.

Sounds issues are something I've rarely had in the past, and as a result,
something I know little about.  what I'd like to know is, would it be
possible to somehow force the soundcard to output stereo sound on either 2
of the 8 channels I have, or, I suppose I would be just as happy if I had 4
left and 4 right channels (I'd only use one of each either way).  I use this
machine 99% of the time as a myth frontend, but I occasionally play some
games and/or music from outside of Myth, and I'd prefer a solution that
would be universal, not specific to myth.  I would think that one of the
configurations I've described would be possible, but I can't seem to find
where I would configure these settings.  Any ideas?

Thanks,

Josh