[mythtv-users] How can I get my monitorless backend to start up

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 13:28:02 UTC 2009

2009/4/18 William <william_munson at comcast.net>:
[snip]
>> Thanks William, looks like I need to study up on Xorg.conf settings, my
> That is pretty much a generic config which tells xorg to figure it all out
> by itself. This is why its not happy when no edid info is returned by the
> monitor.The section below tells xorg to ignore the lack of edid data and
> instead use the video modes you have defined in xorg.conf.
>
> Section "Device"
>  Identifier    "Configured Video Device"
>      Option        "UseEvents"    "true"
>      Option        "DPI"    "100x100"
>      Option        "AddARGBVisuals"    "1"

I'm not sure why everyone is talking about how to configure xorg if
there's no monitor attached. What a complicated, unnecessary step.

I run a VNC server (vncserver), it appears as a distinct X screen .
This is not a vnc plugin letting you control a remote X session.
It's starts a complete independent X screen.

I then run a simple window manager: FLWM
the ~/.vnc/xstartup contains:
--
[ -x /etc/vnc/xstartup ] && exec /etc/vnc/xstartup
[ -r $HOME/.Xresources ] && xrdb $HOME/.Xresources

I start the server with:
Xvnc :0 -desktop htpc.local :0 -auth /home/mythtv/.Xauthority
-geometry 1024x768 -depth 16 -rfbwait 30000 -rfbauth
/home/mythtv/.vnc/passwd -rfbport 5900 -pn -extension XFIXES

Then I use a simple VNC client to connect to it.

Easy, no xorg to worry about ; no monitor...

Jean-Yves