[mythtv-users] AC3 sound does not work

Joacim J jocke4news at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 06:48:28 UTC 2009

On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 8:36 AM, Nick Morrott <knowledgejunkie at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 13/04/2009, Joacim J <jocke4news at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Yes, I have read it but have not seem what can cause my problem (or I am
> > blind)
>
> Please don't top-post.
>
> Most likely cause: you have a broken /home/mythtv/.asoundrc file that
> could be masking a working /etc/asound.conf file.
>
> If your other 'normal' users with working sound have their own
> .asoundrc files, place a good copy in your MythTV user's home
> directory directory. If all users are to use a single asound
> configuration file (which can simplify things), remove all
> user-specific .asoundrc files as Allen's wiki page suggests, and use
> the system-wide /etc/asound.conf file.
>
> Nick
>
> --
> Nick Morrott
>
> MythTV Official wiki:
> http://mythtv.org/wiki/
>
> "An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest." - Benjamin
> Franklin

I don't have any of these files...and it's a standard Ubuntu 8.10 (out of
the box ....more or less)

root at bilbo:/home/joacim# ls -al /home/joacim/.a*
ls: cannot access /home/joacim/.a*: No such file or directory

root at bilbo:/home/joacim# ls -al /home/mythtv/.a*
ls: cannot access /home/mythtv/.a*: No such file or directory

root at bilbo:/home/joacim# ls -al /etc/asou*
ls: cannot access /etc/asou*: No such file or directory

Yes, I would like to have system wide sound configuration. But since it's
working in the normal account, without these configuration files.

Also that I have only problem with AC3 encoded sound, other sounds are
working (analog port => TV and SPDIF COAX => Amplifier and speakers)

--
Regards
Joacim