[mythtv-users] Ripped DVD recordings have skips

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 21:17:05 UTC 2009

On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 7:48 AM, Allen Edwards <allen.p.edwards at gmail.com> wrote:
> Why is it so hard to do a bit true copy from a DVD to a file without
> doing any decryption?  This would not require any defeating of the
> encryption and would allow backup.  It seems to me that you only need
> decryption to view a file.  Obviously I am missing something.

I think it is something to do with where the encryption keys are
stored on the DVD.

If you do

dd if=/dev/dvd of=dvd.iso

Then I believe you won't be able to play the iso on linux, cos not all
of the DVD is copied to the iso - the hidden bits essential to
decryption are not copied. Or at least thats my understanding. Apply
grain of salt.