[mythtv-users] Ripped DVD recordings have skips

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Wed Apr 8 02:52:30 UTC 2009

On Tue, Apr 07, 2009 at 07:45:34AM -0700, Allen Edwards wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 6:50 AM, James Oltman <cnlibmyth at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> I noticed what may be similar on a movie rip this weekend. The movie was
> >> ripped with DVDHDFab under Wine and then the directory containing the
> >> VIDEO_TS folder was dumped into my Myth video directory. When watching the
> >> movie I saw two or three brief periods of black. Less than a second each
> >> time. It could have been the movie skipping or just a section of black in
> >> the video. It was not distracting enough for me look in the log files and
> >> see what happened.
> >>
> >> Is this what happened for you?
> >>
> >> I am running Mythbuntu 8.10 with Jean-Yves VDPAU repo. I am at 20xxx
> >> something.
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >> James
> >>

> > What you are witnessing is the result of DRM.  I've had this happen with a
> > lot of my own movies (read: purchased).  I'd say it has been only recent
> > movies, but even older ones have had this happen.  The only way I've found
> > around it is to purchase software (AnyDVD) and let it take care of that DRM
> > messiness.  I have heard there are ways around it with Linux software, but
> > it's much more complicated.
> >
> > Jim
>

> I am surprised that if AnyDVD is capable of dealing with this that linux
> isn't.  Is this complicated way computable with Myth?  That is the whole

    The Slysoft guys do this full time and are pretty dedicated in keeping
up with the "copy protection arms race". Some studios are very determined
to keep this a constant cat and mouse game.

    I don't think anything distributed as Free Software even under Windows
is nearly as effective or up to date as AnyDVD.

[deletia]

    Strangely enough, I had a whole batch of Universal DVDs acquired all
from Costco that had to go through AnyDVD. It doubled my "bad DVD" list
in one fell swoop. The oddest thing is that I have been able to rip a
different copy of one of the effected movies without any problem.

    You also have to be wary of fab problems. The Slysoft forums are a
very good way to sort out what's a genuine copy protection problem and
what may just be a crap disk.
    The Linux rippers will get data off of a faulty disk when Windows
can't. Windows will see the defect and just bail. Whereas with Linux
you have the option of being stubborn and working around the defect.