[mythtv-users] Setting NON 60 hz modes with MythBuntu 8.10Nvidia 180

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Sat Apr 4 22:13:47 UTC 2009

Hi

2009/4/5  <w.f.mythbuster at gmail.com>:
> Thanks for the very quick reaction.
> It solved my problem I can now select the following frequencies manually:
> 24,25,30,50,60
>
> Now I am trying to use automatically frequencies switching.

when you run xrandr, what are the refresh rates shown for your resolution?
is it something like 50,51,52 etc

or is it:
24,25,30,50,60 ?

If the later, and you are using my ubuntu packages
(www.avenard.org/media), then you can activate the automatic change of
frequencies by going into the mythtv, setup, appearance. Check that
you want a different screen for GUI and Playback. Now select the
screen resolution on that screen and for the resolution use: Any.
Any now means that it will try the best frequency possible.
Something to be aware of. 24Hz video is made of two distinct
frequencies: 23.97Hz (US) and 24Hz (Europe/Aus).
If the video you're trying to play is running at 23.97Hz (like most
stuff you get from the US) ; then it won't automatically switch your
screen to 24Hz because for myth ; they aren't the same.
When trying to decide which frequency it should switch to ; I only use
an accuracy of 10-2. The reason being, I want my screen to use
23.97Hz, not 24

If xrandr returns frequencies like: 50,51,52 then the method above won't work.
You need to create a file containing something like:
---
#50 - "1920x1080 at 50"
#51 - "1920x1080 at 60"
#52 - "1920x1080 at 24"
#53 - "1920x1080 at 23.976"
#54 - "1920x1080 at 50i"
#55 - "1920x1080 at 60i"
#56 - "1920x1080 at 59.94"
#57 - "1920x1080 at 59.94i"
#1920x1080 mode:
1920,1080,50,50
1920,1080,60,51
1920,1080,24,52
1920,1080,23.976,53
1920,1080,59.94,56
1600,1200,25,25
1920,1200,60,50
---

looking at the line:
1920,1080,60,51
it means that:
for the resolution 1920x1080 , for 60Hz use the xrandr frequency of 51

If you have a 1080p TV ; I put a xorg.conf file that I use. It works
with a few TV and projectors ; I haven't tested it on Samsung TV.
It's available there:
http://www.avenard.org/files/media/xorg.conf.1080
copy it in /etc/X11/xorg.conf
And restart X with:
sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart

Now; when you use xrandr it will return frequencies like:
50,51,52 etc

Now put the lines:
--- CUT BELOW
#50 - "1920x1080 at 50"
#51 - "1920x1080 at 60"
#52 - "1920x1080 at 24"
#53 - "1920x1080 at 23.976"
#54 - "1920x1080 at 50i"
#55 - "1920x1080 at 60i"
#56 - "1920x1080 at 59.94"
#57 - "1920x1080 at 59.94i"
#1920x1080 mode:
1920,1080,50,50
1920,1080,60,51
1920,1080,24,52
1920,1080,23.976,53
1920,1080,59.94,56
1600,1200,25,25
1920,1200,60,50
-- CUT ABOVE

in:
~/.mythtv/customrate

resolution for GUI and Playback, you'll see at the bottom a "Custom
Rate" field.
Enter the path to the file you've just created:
/home/username/.mythtv/customrate
obviously use the proper path

Now myth will use the appropriate refresh rate when required, and take
care of the frequencies possible.

For more info:
http://www.avenard.org/media/Patches_%26_Add-Ons/Entries/2009/2/16_Match_refresh_rate_with_input_framerate_to_reduce_judder_and_nVidia_xrandr_support.html

BTW 25 and 30 are really 50i and 60i

Actually, writing that email made me think that not rounding the
frequencies would be an issue for some using default xorg settings.
I will modify my patches so if the customrate file doesn't exist ; I
will round to the closest integer.
So if the video is 23.97Hz it will use 24Hz..

Less mess around, and I'm guessing some people don't care about having
the exact frequency, but use the closest instead.