[mythtv-users] OT: wake on lan of slave BE/FE?

Joe Henley joehenley at kc.rr.com
Wed Apr 1 21:14:21 UTC 2009

Gordon,

I have found these issues to highly mobo and BIOS dependent.  So what
works for me or others may not help you much.  That being said ....

WOL from suspend is also controlled by the BIOS using acpi, and in fact,
is one of the BIOS capabilities which are very inconsistent across
mobos.  Since you can get it to work under Windows, it will most likely
work in Linux (with enough digging around).

In my machine, the /proc/acpi/wakeup file did not contain an entry for
the LAN to wake the machine.  So I added the command:
/bin/echo "LAN0 S3 enabled" > /proc/acpi/wakeup
early in the boot-up process (modified /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit).  This sets
the machine up to wake-on-LAN from suspend (S3).  Then I just use:
/bin/echo -n "mem" > /sys/power/state
to put the machine into suspend, and use:
ether-wake <your MAC address>
to wake the machine.

You should also be able to wake the machine from the suspend by pressing
the front power button.

Good luck.

Joe Henley