[mythtv-users] UK scheduling problem (news in the middle)

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 21:15:19 UTC 2008

On 29/09/2008, Mike Perkins <mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk> wrote:
> Edmund wrote:
>  > Thanks for the information. Interesting to know that it is an
>  > international problem. I agree that ITV1 is the main culprit, but I am
>  > used to them and so I haven't been caught out by it. I have just been
>  > caught out by five.
>  >
>  > Please don't do any work on this on my account - if others think it is
>  > worthwhile then by all means... I was just making sure I hadn't missed
>  > an option somewhere.

Seems like a sensible feature to have, especially as Mattias has
already implemented this handling in tv_grab_se_swedb.

> ITV1 is the main culprit, but I have also seen it on Channel 4 and on Five, and
>  even on occasions on BBC1, if it is a fairly long film.
>
>  In my view Five is the worst, since they stick 5-minute news, sport and/or
>  weather in (plus ad break!) without any mention in the scheduling. I've even
>  seen film-review shorties, which tends to blow one's brains out when one's
>  trying to follow the plot of a film!

If a long programme is split in half by the news/weather (and that is
clear from the schedules) then it is possible to try and handle the
listings data to make the 2 separate 'programmes' two parts of the
same programme. If the listings do not specify that there is a news
bulletin (either as a separate programme, or via information in the
description field) we can't do anything, except have a fingers ready
on the jump key.

Nick

--
Nick Morrott