[mythtv-users] rookie mythtv prospective user

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Sep 29 18:32:45 UTC 2008

paltron wrote:
> My desjtop is permanently connected by broadband to the Internet and is
> NOT part of a local network. I installed, de-installed, re-installed
> MythTV several times, I even tried this Mythbuntu crap, always ended up
> with the screen I described.

Calling MythBuntu "Crap" is probably not the best way to get help from
this list :-)

> Setup?What setup?I can't even get that far.
> I'm very frustrated, because it's most likely a tiny thing.
> At this point I yanked everything and reverted to my Hauppage WinTV 150
> card's ability to watch live TV.

If you installed and de-installed Myth several times, and you didn't do
it preciselt the same way with the same version, you may well have
"crap" hanging around from previous installs.

The "no mouse" situation is normal, Myth is not designed to use a mouse,
and thus it "swallows" it top prevent screen clutter. You should be able
to go through the setup using just the cursor keys.

You might find this helpful, although it is specifically for MythDora,
it might give you an idea how the install should work, which you need to
know in order to work out what's wrong.

http://www.mythpvr.com/mythtv/distribution/mythdora/4/install-1.html

You should also have the loopback interface configured, even if you are
permanently connected to the internet on your DT.

beww