[mythtv-users] Cropping with PVR-150

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Sep 25 22:00:18 UTC 2008

Jim Stichnoth wrote:
> I recently installed a Hauppauge PVR-150 to complement my two HDHomeRun
> boxes, with the s-video input connected to a DirecTiVo box.  I have
> closed captioning enabled in the mythtv setup, which works great, except
> that the PVR-150 seems to be cropping around 10 lines from the top, and
> inserting a horizontal black bar at the bottom.  Doing "cat /dev/video >
> /tmp/foo.mpg" and then playing foo.mpg with xine or mplayer also shows
> the black bar (as well as a smaller vertical black bar on the left), and
> foo.mpg is at 720x480 resolution.
>
> If I first execute "v4l2-ctl -b off", then the bottom black bar is no
> longer there in foo.mpg (though the small black bar on the left is the
> same).  I'm guessing that the PVR-150 and/or ivtv are helpfully
> stripping the VBI information.  But this is not really necessary since I
> already have global settings to deal with the flickering VBI line in the
> picture that the HDHR picks up from digital SD broadcasts.
>
> Is there a way to get rid of this bottom black bar and also keep closed
> captions?
>
> I'm running MythDora 5.  I'm not quite sure how to figure out what
> version of ivtv I have.

With MythDora5 and 3 PVR-150s I do not have that problem.

I suspect your "global settings to deal with flickering VBI line" may
have something to do with your problem.

The first ting to determine is if it a playback problem or a record
problem, what happens if you try playing an mpeg file from another source?

beww