[mythtv-users] UK Users - Freeview and Freesat on one installation?

Another Sillyname anothersname at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 25 17:26:29 UTC 2008

2008/9/25 Rafael Moslin <rafmoslin at gmail.com>:
> Exactly as Duncan says is the correct way but I found some strange things
> happening here with this. I'm (according to others) rather odd in using Myth
> to watch live TV and when I did the callsign/name match it would not let me
> change channel (different multiplex) when recording even though one of the
> tuners was available.
>
> What I've ended up doing was giving them the same name and XMLTV code but
> with the Freesat numbers +1000 due to some overlap, this seems to work
> rather well and lets me change channels freely.
>
> Agree about the rescanning, not keen on losing all my painstakingly hand
> entered XMLTV mappings, which I did whilst muttering that I should script
> this so that it rebuilds automagically but as per usual constraints such as
> wild partying and an unhealthy interest in making cars go faster gets in the
> way...
>

> 2008/9/25 Duncan Brown <mythtv at duncb.co.uk>
>>
>> Christopher Watson wrote:
>> > Hello to all those UK Mythtv users out there.
>> >
>> > Just a quick message to see how you cope with the different channel
>> > numbering conventions between the two platforms, if you have both
>> > Freeview and Freesat cards installed in your setup, as I do?
>> >
>> > For example, More4 is 14 on Freeview, but on Freesat it is 138.
>> >
>> > If I have two entries for the same channel i.e. one freesat and one
>> > freeview - using the same callsign and channel name, but different
>> > channel numbers - any programs set to record on More4 get recorded
>> > twice!
>> >
>> > My answer currently is to use the Freeview numbering for all channels
>> > that appear on both and the Freesat numbering for those that appear
>> > only there.
>> >
>> > Just interested to know if anyone else does anything different?
>> >
>> > Chris
>> >
>> I have 2 DVB-T and one DVB-S card. I just use the freeview numbers for
>> all of them, and as long as the callsign and name is identical it will
>> treat them as the same channel.
>>
>> I've also moved some of the +1 channels that are not on freeview down to
>> more sensible numbers, i.e one above the normal channel.
>>
>> Only problem comes when I rescan the DVB-S card and it resets them all.
>> I've been meaning to write a little bit of mySQL to do it all
>> automatically.
>>
>> Dunc

Depending on how many card inputs you have (both physical and multi
proto) I would recommend saving the satellite feed for just HD and any
non DVB-T channels.  Use your DVB-T inputs for the terrestrial
channels.

I 'turned off', by making them non visible, (NOT deleted - for rescan
reasons as mentioned above) the satellite duplicates using mythweb -->
settings --> TV  -->  Channel Info.  On the same page you can quickly
rename and re channel number each channel.

Took about 20 minutes and my sat feed now get's used only for stuff
it's needed for.

Regards