[mythtv-users] Frontend/Backend storage vs streaming question

Joe Borne joe.borne at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 13:02:41 UTC 2008

Hey all,

The Problem:
I have a master backend/frontend system in my lower level media room.
This system is a bit of a monster and configured to the HD TV etc
along with having close to a TB of storage.  My problem is that the
networks have decided to schedule a lot of my favorite programs
against each other this year. As a result, I am having to choose which
one to not record because I do not have enough inputs. Unfortunately I
am out of PCI slots on this system as well. This is frustrating
because I have several tuner cards laying about.

So, my Linux Desktop system in my office upstairs has lots of room and
could easily handle recording analog programs. I'd like to set it up
as a second backend/frontend. However, due to having a microwave
between the two that gives off an EM field like Chernobyl prevents
wireless between them. The house construction prevents a wire from
being run as well. So my solution was to use two adapters that plug
into the household electrical system and use it as a network. This
connection works well for 99% of things, but streaming video over it
is jumpy and freezes at times, requiring a restart of MythTV.

The Question:
So I'd like to know how I can configure the two backends to sync the
recordings between them overnight. I'd like the recordings to be on
the local drives of both systems and the frontends to only play from
their respective local drives.

Is there a good HOWTO out there for doing this? The all knowing Oracle
at Google has revealed nothing for me so far.

Thanks in advance,

Joe