[mythtv-users] MythTV stops computer from shutting down when running in background

Odysseus Flappington deriziotis at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 11:49:46 UTC 2008

I am running MythTV running as a combined frontend/backend/desktop on Ubuntu
Gutsy.

However, when I click shutdown or reboot in Gnome while MythTV is running in
the background (on a second xserver connected to my tv), MythTV brings up
the Exit menu asking if I'm sure I want to exit MythTV and waits for a
response, thereby stopping the computer from shutting down.

 I found a bug on the Ubuntu bugtracker where someone suggests that MythTV
is catching the SIGQUIT signal that's being sent, and stopping the
shutdown/reboot action from going through [
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mythtv/+bug/174712].

I have tried disabling the prompt asking if I'm sure I want to exit MythTV
from the MythTV settings and this offers a slight improvement. When I click
shutdown/reboot now, MythTV just quits but stops the computer from shutting
down. I need to click it again, in order to get it to go ahead and do it.

Can anyone think of any workarounds to solve this? Perhaps a bug-report to
add an option to make MyhTV act more ilke a regular desktop application?

Thanks,
Alex