[mythtv-users] Symptoms of not enough PS wattage

Fedor Pikus fpikus at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 22:20:44 UTC 2008

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 3:03 PM, Sam Logen <starz909 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi, I'm wondering what symptoms there could be for a power supply not producing enough wattage.  I have:
>
> both an HDTV card and a PVR-150 card,
> two SATA hard drives and a SATA DVD-writer,
> one firewire connection to an STB,
> an Athlon 3600+ AM2 CPU and two Kingston 512MB Memory,
> a cpu fan and a few case fans,
> an nvidia 7200 fanless pcie card,
> Onboard nforce sound,
> a usb LCD and a usb card reader,
>
> The power supply is a Seasonic S12 380W.
>
> I'm having some problems with the picture quality of both of my capture cards.  I'm looking into driver and reception issues as well, but I thought I'd ask about power allotment, and if that could be the culprit.

I've seen random lockups, of course, but I also saw some more exotic ones:

boot takes a long time in detecting hard drives, and sometimes not all
disks are detected when the PC finally boots.
PC fails to boot from a CD
3D video fails with various symptoms (cannot initialize openGL for example).

--
Fedor G Pikus (fpikus at gmail.com)
http://www.pikus.net