[mythtv-users] mythtv tv recording suddenly grainy / ugly

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Sep 16 14:24:03 UTC 2008

Andrew Close wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 11:01 PM, Alan <alan at ufies.org> wrote:
>

>> I haven't changed any settings in the mythbox and I have re-attached the
>> old TV and it shows up there as well.  I've rebooted, reset all the
>> cards and ram, but no change.  I've also checked the coax cables and
>> splitter.  Even going from the wall straight into the PVR has no change
>> (normally there's a splitter to split from the wall to the TV and the
>> PVR).  The TV reception of video works just dandy of course.
>

> i don't think the current responders read the above section very
> carefully.  especially the part where Alan hooked up his old tv and is
> still seeing garbage out...
> sorry i don't have an answer for you.

It's possible, if the OP is using a ATV system, that the signal level
from the cable co. has dropped. Sometimes the level drops to the point
where the signal looks grainy, but some TV sets, with better tuners, are
still able to show a decent picture. In fact, it's the old "junker" TVs
that seem to have better sensitivity.

It's hard to think of anything that would cause a working Myth setup to
suddenly become "grainy", if nothing has changed, other than the
external signal or a tuner card problem. Just about any other hardware
problem would cause total failure.

beww