[mythtv-users] mythtv tv recording suddenly grainy / ugly

Alan alan at ufies.org
Tue Sep 16 15:19:23 UTC 2008

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 08:24:03AM -0600, Brian Wood wrote:
> Andrew Close wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 11:01 PM, Alan <alan at ufies.org> wrote:
> >

> >> I haven't changed any settings in the mythbox and I have re-attached the
> >> old TV and it shows up there as well.  I've rebooted, reset all the
> >> cards and ram, but no change.  I've also checked the coax cables and
> >> splitter.  Even going from the wall straight into the PVR has no change
> >> (normally there's a splitter to split from the wall to the TV and the
> >> PVR).  The TV reception of video works just dandy of course.
> >

> > i don't think the current responders read the above section very
> > carefully.  especially the part where Alan hooked up his old tv and is
> > still seeing garbage out...
> > sorry i don't have an answer for you.
> >
> It's possible, if the OP is using a ATV system, that the signal level
> from the cable co. has dropped. Sometimes the level drops to the point
> where the signal looks grainy, but some TV sets, with better tuners, are
> still able to show a decent picture. In fact, it's the old "junker" TVs
> that seem to have better sensitivity.
>
> It's hard to think of anything that would cause a working Myth setup to
> suddenly become "grainy", if nothing has changed, other than the
> external signal or a tuner card problem. Just about any other hardware
> problem would cause total failure.

I'm actually thinking this might be it as well.  I played more after I
posted this last night and I did have someone mucking in the panel where
the cable comes into the house, and there is a power booster there.
It's possible it got unplugged.  However, I wasn't able to check this as
there was someone sleeping on the couch in that room at the time.  I'm
hoping that this is it though.

--
Alan <alan at ufies.org> - http://arcterex.net