[mythtv-users] MythWeb weather, broken or is it just me?

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 14:13:48 UTC 2008

> So is there a way to run the script manually and see what error output
> there is? MythWeb doesnt log anything. So any idea why this is
> happening?

I think it's going to depend on which script you're using. But I run
mine like this for Sydney, NSW, Australia:
   $ cd /usr/share/mythtv/mythweather/scripts/auswea/
   $ ./auswea.pl -u SI -d ~mythtv/.mythtv/MythWeather/AUSWEA/ nsw-syd
In the case of this script, "nsw-syd" is the name of the weather
station which gets passed into the script to get the weather for
Sydney. The stations are defined in an XML file in the same directory.
But this is just how this particular script works - you will need to
check with whatever script you're using, but hopefully it's similar to
this.

Note that the script probably checks if the data's already been
downloaded and cached so you may have to remove the cached data first:
   $ rm ~mythtv/.mythtv/MythWeather/AUSWEA/auswea_nsw-syd

When I run the script manually like this I get this kind of output:
3dlocation::Sydney
6dlocation::Sydney
appt::11
cclocation::Sydney
copyright::http://www.hamweather.com HAMweather, LLC, all rights reserved
date-0::Wed SEP 17
date-1::Thu SEP 18
date-2::Fri SEP 19
date-3::Sat SEP 20
date-4::Sun SEP 21
date-5::Mon SEP 22
heat_index::NA
high-0::16
high-1::18
high-2::24
high-3::27
high-4::22
high-5::27
icon-0::pcloudy.png
icon-1::pcloudy.png
icon-2::sunny.png
icon-3::pcloudy.png
icon-4::sunny.png
icon-5::mcloudy.png
low-0::10
low-1::10
low-2::13
low-3::13
low-4::13
low-5::14
observation_date::TUE SEP 16 2008
observation_time::1130 PM GMT+10
pressure::1023
relative_humidity::47
station_id::NA
temp::12
updatetime::1130 PM GMT+10
visibility::NA
weather::Fair
weather_icon::fair.png
wind_dir::West
wind_gust::0
wind_spdgst::11.20 (0.00)
wind_speed::11.2

There is a short README in /usr/share/mythtv/mythweather/scripts which
may provide further help.

> Also on the current condition part, it always displays "Unknown". Any
> clues on that?
If it says unknown that means the script that grabs the weather for
you can't translate the data it's getting into a meaningful
"forecast". For example, if the data that it gets says "Chilly" and
the script doesn't have anything to deal with the word "Chilly" then
it outputs "unknown.png" instead of "quite_cold.png" (note I'm just
making this up as an example). So you probably need to have a look at
the script you're running, see where it gets its data from, and then
have a look at that data to see what it looks like.

HTH,
Phill