[mythtv-users] Time Warner Cable problem/NW Los Angeles area :-)

Bob Sully rcs at malibyte.net
Tue Sep 16 03:56:24 UTC 2008

> Hey all -
>
> For the past day or two I have not been able to watch/record any
> normally-clear HD channels, and many other previously-clear "2nd-tier" SD
> channels, via my QAM tuners.  The *SD* digital local channels (ABC, CBS,
> NBC affiliates, Fox, CW, etc.) are still watchable.
>
> I still get all of the channels that I pay for via the STB.
>
> I just spent 45 minutes on the phone with three people at Time Warner
> Cable, trying to figure out whether the channels I can no longer get had
> been simply remapped, or whether they're trying to encrypt them.  The
> first two people were completely clueless, the third was more helpful but
> still didn't know the answer (interestingly, he's trying to do a home-brew
> DVR as well, and asked me for some advice on hardware ;-) ).
>
> So, I'm really no closer to an answer.  Anyone on this list had a similar
> issue with TWC in the Los Angeles area recently?  I'm hoping that all I
> have to do is a rescan of the QAM channels (no fun, but beats the
> alternative), and not have to start raising hell with the FCC.
>
> Some of this will be less of a concern once I can use my HD-PVR with Myth.
>  But even then, I'd like to be able to use my QAM tuners for the local HD
> channels.

Just to follow this up, I would like to report that I'm actually happy
with TWC..at least for now.  I just did a channel rescan on QAM
tonight...found that I actually have more channels than I did before,
including a couple of HD channels that I've really wanted to get in the
clear for quite a while.  Hope they leave them that way....!

Also, I haven't done a scan since the early 0.20 days.  The scan was a lot
more painless this time than it was before.  Kudos to the devs!

One quick question....when I modify the info in the channel database
(xmltv IDs, etc.) - some of the channel numbers picked up by the channel
scan are actually logical (e.g. "2_1" for CBS' HD channel instead of
something like "87#1"; their SD version is channel 2 in L.A. but is 402 in
TWC's cable lineup).  If I just change the xmltv ID, will I also need to
change the channel # for mythfilldatabase to pick up the guide data, or is
changing the xmltv ID enough?

Thanks
Bob