[mythtv-users] Time Warner Cable problem/NW Los Angeles area

Bob Sully rcs at malibyte.net
Sun Sep 14 07:11:53 UTC 2008

Hey all -

For the past day or two I have not been able to watch/record any
normally-clear HD channels, and many other previously-clear "2nd-tier" SD
channels, via my QAM tuners.  The *SD* digital local channels (ABC, CBS,
NBC affiliates, Fox, CW, etc.) are still watchable.

I still get all of the channels that I pay for via the STB.

I just spent 45 minutes on the phone with three people at Time Warner
Cable, trying to figure out whether the channels I can no longer get had
been simply remapped, or whether they're trying to encrypt them.  The
first two people were completely clueless, the third was more helpful but
still didn't know the answer (interestingly, he's trying to do a home-brew
DVR as well, and asked me for some advice on hardware ;-) ).

So, I'm really no closer to an answer.  Anyone on this list had a similar
issue with TWC in the Los Angeles area recently?  I'm hoping that all I
have to do is a rescan of the QAM channels (no fun, but beats the
alternative), and not have to start raising hell with the FCC.

Some of this will be less of a concern once I can use my HD-PVR with Myth.
 But even then, I'd like to be able to use my QAM tuners for the local HD
channels.

Thanks
Bob