[mythtv-users] motherboard suggestion? for be/fe for amd phenom cpu

Mitch Gore mitchell.gore at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 01:37:26 UTC 2008

On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 5:31 PM, diane mittnik <dianemittnik at gmail.com> wrote:
> It's been a few years since I've had to spec out a computer, so I'm
> lost on the latest features and what's best especially for mythtv.
>
> I'll be using the computer as a backend/frontend for some time,
> recording using HDHomerun OTA digital, and using the computer for
> other purposes when not recording.  I may repurpose it later when I
> split the frontend from the backend, in which case it will probably be
> a backend only unit.
>
> My only requirement is a phenom quad core processor capable board (and
> avoiding too many PCI-X or other legacy PCI slots, preferring PCI-E,
> Is this thinking right?).  What motherboard should I get that can play
> back 720p with preferably a lower wattage graphics choice.  I'm
> assuming on-board graphics would consume less energy from what I've
> seen in the mailing list archives, and I'm thinking I can add a
> (preferably low cost) graphics board later should I move up to 1080
> resolution prior to splitting the backend/frontend.

on board graphics are fine.  Why do you want to use a quad core proc?
Do you already have it?  I would suggest a 64w X2 64 dual core.  1)
because video decoding isnt multi-threaded.  your better off with a
faster core at this point.  and 2) lower power draw = less money

> I'm also assuming that ATI for graphics would be a better choice going
> forward because of their loosening up on some source code on their
> graphics boards which will help mythtv and other Linux video
> developers produce better code, or is this wrong because they haven't
> released the important code developers really need?

wrong at this point...go with nVidia.  they havent release the source
but they are still MUCH better than ATI.  Or intel as a number 2.

> I've looked at the wiki and watched the list for a while but I'm still
> a bit confused on what capabilities to  look out for on the
> motherboard.  Digital audio, scart, etc.
not much here. just enough pci slots.

I am a big supported of Asus.  Good quality boards that work well with linux.

Mitchell