[mythtv-users] motherboard suggestion? for be/fe for amd phenom cpu

diane mittnik dianemittnik at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 22:31:41 UTC 2008

It's been a few years since I've had to spec out a computer, so I'm
lost on the latest features and what's best especially for mythtv.

I'll be using the computer as a backend/frontend for some time,
recording using HDHomerun OTA digital, and using the computer for
other purposes when not recording.  I may repurpose it later when I
split the frontend from the backend, in which case it will probably be
a backend only unit.

My only requirement is a phenom quad core processor capable board (and
avoiding too many PCI-X or other legacy PCI slots, preferring PCI-E,
Is this thinking right?).  What motherboard should I get that can play
back 720p with preferably a lower wattage graphics choice.  I'm
assuming on-board graphics would consume less energy from what I've
seen in the mailing list archives, and I'm thinking I can add a
(preferably low cost) graphics board later should I move up to 1080
resolution prior to splitting the backend/frontend.

I'm also assuming that ATI for graphics would be a better choice going
forward because of their loosening up on some source code on their
graphics boards which will help mythtv and other Linux video
developers produce better code, or is this wrong because they haven't
released the important code developers really need?

I've looked at the wiki and watched the list for a while but I'm still
a bit confused on what capabilities to  look out for on the
motherboard.  Digital audio, scart, etc.

Just a few suggestions on motherboard brand and model numbers that are
compatible with phenom quad cores (am2+?) would help jump start my
shopping list.

For the power supply, I should look for number of drives and their
power requirements on 5volt or 12 volt, plus the graphics card power
requirements if a separate board is used, optical drive power
requirement, for the rest is there a ballpark figure to estimate
(fans, other pci boards if any, etc)

I'm going to install 4 GB of memory. I understand I won't need that
amount of memory for mythtv, it'll be for other usage.  I ran into
problems with boards a number of years ago that didn't support more
than three populated memory sockets due to timing issues with the
SDRam of yesterday. If you needed 4 populated memory sockets when
using SDRam some years ago with some boards you had to use registered
memory.  I'm hoping that with newer memory (DDR2) using paired dimms,
I can use 4x1GB dimms without worrying about confirming this on a
specific board. Am I correct?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Di.