[mythtv-users] Remote access to the back end

David Segall david at segall.net
Sun Sep 14 16:09:01 UTC 2008

Some time ago I added some information to the MythTV wiki that included
a paragraph on providing remote access to a MythTV back end
<http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Microsoft_Access#Enable_access_to_the_database_from_remote_computers>.
The URL I provided
<http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-6.html#ss6.2> does not mention
the need to provide an external web address in MythTV's database setup
menu. That was probably a serious omission but I have recently installed
Mythbuntu and that required the additional step of enabling the MySQL
service in the Mythbuntu Control Centre.

I now fear my wiki entry will lead the reader into hours of frustration
but I am reluctant to add the details I know to my entry because the
information about connecting to a remote database should be on a single
web page. Does the web page already exist and I have failed to find it
or should I add the information to the wiki despite my extremely limited
experience with installing MythTV?

--
David