[mythtv-users] Is it going to get harder and harder to get the content we want in MythTV?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Sep 12 18:43:35 UTC 2008

On 09/12/2008 02:23 PM, jedi wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 02:06:13PM -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:

>>> I second this one.
>>>
>> Until CBS/NBC/ABC/Fox/CW/MyTV/... second it, we're probably out of
>> luck.  Have any of you tried watching any of the shows on their sites?
>> They require Windows (for Windows Media Player and its DRM or custom
>> Activex controls or ...).
>>
>     Those would be the content providers that provide their content
> DRM over the public airwaves. Why worry what they do on their websites?
> They stream HD MPEG2 in the clear to anyone interested in tuning it in.

Well, the "..." was meant to indicate "and all those cable channels that
you people who are spending money on cable would know about."  I'm sure
it's no better at SciFi/Food/History/Discovery/... (though I haven't
specifically tried watching any shows on their websites).

>> Unless, of course, you meant saying goodbye to cable and hello to
>> YouTube's garbage and its ilk...
>>
>     Nevermind the Windows-centric BS dependencies. My main gripe about
> all that online content would be the commercials. It's like being back
> in the 80's again.
>
>     I'd rather just wait until the content comes out on some format
> gauranteed to be accessable with AnyDVD if nothing else.

I second that.  I dropped cable many years ago.  While I do enjoy a lot
of SciFi shows, I buy them all and watch them on DVD.  The only reason I
don't buy Good Eats DVD's is because of the cost (and the fact that I
can only buy it from Food Network, which is probably why the cost is so
high--once it's available at a more reasonable cost and from retailers
or rental companies (NetFlix or BlockBuster), I may actually catch up on
that, too).

The only other channels I missed were Discovery (though, really, there
are only like 2 new things on there each year, repeated way too many
times, so I'm not missing much there) and History channel (which isn't
good enough/high priority enough for me to buy DVD's).

Mike