[mythtv-users] MythTV and ripping "The Phantom Menace"

James Crow james at ultratans.com
Thu Sep 11 11:38:45 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-09-10 at 23:41 -0500, Dan Linder wrote:
> I've been ripping and trans-coding my DVD collection to my MythTV box
> with good success until tonight.  I put in the DVD "Star Wars I - The
> Phantom Menace" and it starts ripping the movie (just the movie, not
> the entire .ISO image).  It gets about 33% done (on the bar-graph) and
> then the rip process seems to die and the screen says "nothing being
> ripped or transcoded".
>
> I've grepped through the various log files in /var/log, but can't find
> any error mentioned.  Any suggestions as to how to debug this?
>
> I can put the DVD in and watch the opening scenes so it should be
> decoded correctly...
>
> Dan
>
> --
> "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" (Who can watch the watchmen?) -- from
> the Satires of Juvenal
> "I do not fear computers, I fear the lack of them." -- Isaac Asimov
> (Author)

I have not tried this particular disc, but when I was doing the same
thing I saw many newer DVDs that were just plain broken. i.e. They had
copy protection on them such that when ripping under Linux I would end
up with a iso file of 20GB or it would just hang sometime during the
process. At least many of the newer (less than a year old) discs have a
note on the package. I now use DVDFab 5 under Wine to rip them. Of
course I have no idea how you could do that from within Myth.

Thanks,
James