[mythtv-users] Freezing video problem

Jenks, Mark Mark.Jenks at nsighttel.com
Sun Sep 7 18:40:16 UTC 2008

I'm not even sure what to search on for this issue.

Asus m3n78 PRO motherboard w/ 4gb of ram, and 2 1TB drives.

I have a WinTV-HVR-1800.  If I try and watch HD using mplayer
dvb://channel, I get errors, and it skips real bad. "Too many video
packets in the buffer"

If I try to tune in w/ Myth, I can see the first 5-10 seconds, and then
the video freezes, and it just hang there,  I can ESC out of it to stop
it It doesn't do this on non-HD channels..

But if I open a ssh to the box, I can see the .mpg file growing at a
normal rate.   If I stop myth, and use mplayer to view the .mpg, it's
fine.  I can even copy it to another box and watch it there w/ mplayer.
So, it's recording just fine.  Just not playing liveTV.

I have tried every Nvidia driver that I can load on it, and the problem
stays.

glxgears runs at 2000 at the normal screen size.  If I make it half
screen or bigger, it goes down to 450.  Video issue?  It's not a HD
issue, iostat 5 2 shows everything is fine, and it does actually record
it.

What am I missing?  Where should I look next?

I am trying to watch it on my 17" CRT, and want to take it to my
flatscreen w/ HDMI in the end, but if it doesn't work here, I doubt it
will work there.

Thanks!

-Mark