[mythtv-users] Output from the Hauppauge HD-PVR?]

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Sun Sep 7 01:03:27 UTC 2008

Steve Heistand <steve at heistand.org> says:
> 3 new non clipped HDPVR output samples.
> 720p at 6mbps recording rate. ~125M each.
>
> http://www.wvcom.net/hdpvr/hdt.mpg
> http://www.wvcom.net/hdpvr/bikini.mpg
> http://www.wvcom.net/hdpvr/nascar.mpg

After finally figuring out why my 0.21-fixes frontend had not been not
able to play these clips without dying (regardless of performance), I
am pleased to report that my tried-and-true 3.0GHz Pentium 4
frontend/slave backend is able to handle playback from mythvideo quite
nicely.

Despite the low 6mbps bitrate and forced 720p output on the cable-box
side, the video quality is more than acceptable.  CPU usage is between
60-90% with an average of 75-80%. There is the occasional skip or two
but it's entirely possible that, were they played from the internal
player with accompanying proper seektables, or once MythTV's ffmpeg is
resynced again with source, they might go away.

Now the only things I have to wait for before deploying the HD PVR on
my own box is a) the forthcoing firmware with 5.1 support and, more
importantly, b) recording support within 0.21-fixes or another formal,
non-trunk release. In the meanwhile, I am feeling much better about
the issues I raised in
<URL:http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/315909#315909>.

--
Frontend:		P4 3.0GHz, 1.5TB software RAID 5 array